November 3, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day 3 - Wait, So What Am I Writing About?

The more perceptive readers of this blog might have already noticed that I never actually said anything about the novel I'm working on. I'm not usually paranoid about posting my ideas online, and in general I don't really believe  that good literary ideas can be stolen. In this case, however, I'd rather err on the side of caution (and not be forced to repeatedly threaten my readers not to borrow or steal any of my ideas), and also try to avoid the danger of ruining it for you (this, I realize, is insanely optimistic since it not only presupposes the book will eventually get completed and published, but also that you would all read it). So forgive me for not divulging any plot details, or excerpting any scenes, or even telling you the title of the book; believe me that I'd really really like to tell you all about it because I think it's pretty interesting stuff, but right now I just can't do it.

Roberto BolaƱo at his desk
This lack of response or feedback is one of the drawbacks of trying to write books instead of blog posts - you can be really excited about an idea or story and wish for everyone to know about it immediately, but in fact it'll probably be a couple of years (if not ten, if not twenty...) before it sees the light of day (plus, you'll probably never get a direct unfiltered response similar to blog comments; maybe an Amazon review if you're lucky).

2 comments: